Featured Post

The Best Thing I've Heard All Week

     A brilliant friend of mine called her new boyfriend a 'gentleman savage' on Facebook this week, and it struck a chord in me. It...

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today... April 8, 2015

Outside my window...the sun is just beginning to peek over the mountains, the air is cool and calm and the birds are chirping from the bushes outside the door. The weatherman predicts a high of 84* and partly cloudy today. Sounds like a lovely day to me.
I am thinking...that I really have so much to accomplish today that I shouldn't be doing this right now. But I am going to anyway. LOL!

I am thankful... for sunshine on my back, healthy boys that keep me hopping, and a handsome hubby that loves me...in SPITE of me.
I am wearing... my pjs still. Shh, don't tell! Later I'll be donning a skirt in honor of No Pants April, as started by my good friend Kim. My posts about it can be found here and Kim shares here.

I am creating...plans for the weekend trip to Colorado Springs for David, Karen and myself, while the rest of the Man Crew stays home (this is the part that scares me)

I am wondering...what to take along for entertainment. The 3 of us have very different tastes in music, movies, books and games. So this may get tricky :)

I am reading..."Interrupted" by Jen Hatmaker. It's moving me.

I am hoping...that David qualifies for the National Competition while we are at the Regional Competition this weekend. (David is a competitive gymnast)

I am learning...that while I am their sole teacher for school, everything my boys DO or DO NOT know is not necessarily a reflection on me. I haven't decided how I feel about that yet.

In my garden...The roses are about to explode with blooms! They are COVERED in buds and the rose bushes are taller than me. I can't wait for my mom to see them when she gets home. Derek's lettuce sprouts are growing quite well and he is very pleased.

In my kitchen...is a mess. I wasn't home last night and the Man Crew had to fend for themselves. *sigh* Someday, the lessons I've taught about cleaning up after themselves will sink in, right? At least all the dishes made it back to the kitchen, I should be grateful for small improvements :) On the meal planning side of life:
  • Monday was leftover buffet
  • Tuesday was Chicken and mashed potatoes (but the men opted to skip that for more leftovers)
  • Jambalaya (we are learning about Louisiana in our homeschool lessons this week)
  • Nacho Bar
  • Game Night: veggies, chips and dip
  • Saturday and Sunday: Freezer Food Fest as Mama will be out of town and the men have to fend for themselves for a few days.
In the homeschool room...DT and I are a bit behind on our bookwork as we got caught up in our science experiments and hands on 'work', but I'm going to call that a hard earned victory after years of worrying excessively about staying on schedule, to the detriment of my boys' love of learning. So, for today we are learning how to make jambalaya since we are studying the history of Louisiana. 


A favorite quote for today...
“I'm going to bed tonight grateful for warmth, an advantage so expected it barely registers. May my privileges continue to drive me downward to my brothers and sisters without. Greater yet, I'm tired of calling the suffering "brothers and sisters" when I'd never allow my biological siblings to suffer likewise. That's just hypocrisy veiled in altruism. I won't defile my blessings by imagining that I deserve them. Until every human receives the dignity I casually enjoy, I pray my heart aches with tension and my belly rumbles for injustice.”
Jen Hatmaker, 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess

A peek into one of my days...Oh goodness, don't look! My life is a huge pile of what I like to call *organized chaos* and that pretty well sums it up. However, if you choose to wade into the fray, you'll find me running around like a headless chicken, laughing all through the days filled with homeschooling, teenagers, horse riding lessons, a naughty 4 year old, piano lessons, a silly 9 year old, gymnastics every single day, a hubby that answers to Hercules, and way too much driving in circles behind the wheel of the Mama Taxi. Something always smells good in the kitchen, the TV is always on (sigh) and one of the animals is needing to be fed. Life isn't boring, that's for sure :)
Me, at the end of a day spent mothering this band of boys I call mine, and living the dream.

One of my favorite things...my life.

****************************
If you've enjoyed this post and would like to find more of the same, or to play along, head on over to Miss Peggy's page and join the fun!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...