If you are interested in what we are using this year, you are in the right place. Here is an overview of what we are doing for the 2016-2017 school year.
- David is finished with his schooling at this time. He worked his way through High School using Blessed is the Man Curriculum, Progeny Press Literature Guides, Cordura Driving School and his library card.
He is currently perusing the local community college options for taking an English class that focuses on writing.
- Patrick will be using All in One High School for his last year of formal schooling, found here. We decided the go with it again, since he liked it so much and it offered him freedom from sitting with me all day. He is working their 12th grade recommendations and reading devotional materials provided by the youth pastor. He is doing strength training under David's direction and working out with Hercules at Planet Fitness as time allows, since he is also working at the church in the children's department 2-3 times a week, at the gym 2-3 days a week with David and helping Dad with the truck rebuild and side jobs.
- Derek is using My Father's World Exploring Countries and Cultures. You can find it here. It covers Bible, Art, History, Science, Geography and Music. Since it does not cover Language Arts and Math skills specifically, I am using the MFW suggested materials to cover Language Arts. They can be found here. We've also recently added Reading Eggs after a free month long trial brought surprising results. For math, he is using Life of Fred. To keep things fun, we play at least one board/card game a day, and we also have a video each day (or every other day). We've purchased all the episodes of Liberty Kids, all the Magic School Bus episodes, and have amassed quite a few of the Drive Thru History DVDs. We enjoy the Video (and Quiz) of the Week from the BrainPop app on my Kindle. I also have a few DVDs from Izzit. So each day, we enjoy one episode of something. That way, we can redeem some of the hours we spend in the car that day, and he can have a some extra education disguised as fun. We work hard 4 days a week and then have a light day to catch up on anything we missed, some life skills and perhaps even be social for a while.
- We're all enjoying field trips, park days and other fun activities this school year. We head to the park every few weeks on a Friday after a week of hitting the books to relax and enjoy some food and fellowship with other homeschoolers. On the other Fridays, we rotate between field trips, life lesson days and catch up days.
- We re-assumed a 'normal' school schedule this year with A in 1st at the local Christian school, and G's online homeschooling schedule not being as flexible as we'd hoped. Hooray for US having the flexibility to adapt to their needed routines.
- In other news, for the first time in MANY years, we are actually homeschooling at home again. False Alarm...LOL! G's school schedule changed, meaning a change in my work hours so we are back to school everywhere BUT at home in the SOC room (School/Office/Craft) However, it's still nice to have a place to put everything when it's not in the traveling curriculum bag. :)