Thursday, February 25, 2010
- I successfully made a trip to the El Paso Airport without anything exciting happening...LOL!
- Although we did not have a regular school week because of Alec's visit here, we DID do something educational each day, and that's something I'm proud of : )
- I finally got those fun games that I've been trying to get for weeks! Fluxx, Martian Fluxx, and I ordered Nano-Fictionary since they didn't have it in stock.
- It's Dan's birthday...and although as we age, birthdays aren't as important as they used to be, they are still special days to remember how much we love someone.
- Derek learned to pump his own swing this week...it's a bittersweet feeling. So big and still so small. : )
- My parents will be home from Ohio soon and they will be able to start using the computer she got for her birthday...can't WAIT!!
I like the idea of this kind of post. If you do too, then post YOUR little things. I'm making it a goal to be more positive this year, join me!
Monday, February 15, 2010
Outside my window... The sun is shining brightly and fluffy little clouds are floating by lazily. The forecast says that it will get up to 52 today...and that sounds good to me!
I am thinking... that getting up early with Dan (and STAYING UP) is a great plan...now to make it a habit.
I am thankful for... a hubby that not only meets my needs, but fulfills my wants, too. When I mentioned that I needed a few clothes, he didn't just say, "OK, see ya later and don't spend too much money." He offered to come with, picked out some great new pieces and was honest about what looked good and what wasn't quite right. Is he great or what?!?
I am wearing... some of the aforementioned new clothes. Jeans, a new pick graphic tee, socks and tennies.
I am remembering... the chapter or Romans I read this morning in my devotional time. We live by GRACE and not under the law.
I am going... Nowhere today, hurray! Maybe a picnic later this week, a trip to the library soon and all the usual stuff, but nowhere today : )
I am reading... "Learning to Love, When Love Isn't Easy", and Romans
I am hoping... that our homeschooling days will keep up with our new schedule while still allowing us the flexibility that we all enjoy.
On my mind... I need to flip the laundry...I know, really profound, right?
Noticing that... the boys get loud when they play together...my goodness!
Pondering these words... Romans 6:14-15 For sin shall not be your master, because you live not under law, but under grace. What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace?? By no means!
From the kitchen... Bread is rising and I've got SEVERAL dozen cookies laying all over the counter. For the rest of the week...
- Monday~ Stuffed peppers and salad
- Tuesday~ Baked chicken, stuffing and peas
- Wednesday~ Tacos with chips and salsa
- Thursday~Fish Fillets, Roasted Potatoes and carrot sticks
- Friday~ Pizza, chips and veggies with dip
- Saturday~ Leftovers/Fend
- Sunday~ Roasted Chicken, Mashed potatoes and Corn
From the learning rooms...the Patience copywork book we are all working on, alphabet lapbooks for Derek, our map is back from being laminated, (hurray) and we are working on tweaking our new schedule. ABeka from 9-11 M-Th mornings and Sat afternoon, My Father's World T and Th afternoons, Community service on Monday afternoons, Friday is craft class and the Library, Wednesday is for extra practice, projects or reading. Phew, that's a busy schedule. If you are interested in our homeschooling adventures and those of several other homeschooling families, come on over and visit us at www.homeschooledhooligans.blogspot.com
Around the house... floors are waiting to be swept, dishes are waiting to be washed, boys are waiting to be taught and letters are waiting to be written...guess I better get started.
One of my favorite things... and From my picture journal... Men in the kitchen : ) I love men that cook, bake or even just hang out in the kitchen...Dan and 'Shua baked cookies yesterday while Lauren worked on schooling and I made pizza.
Sunday, February 14, 2010
- Dan says, "I made a cookie recipe" He combined several oatmeal raisin cookie recipes to make the ULTIMATE cookie recipe.
- Kristy says, "I enjoyed movie night at home with JUST US MEYER's this week, and it was great!"
- 'Shua says, "I got a job!"
- Lauren says, "I got a fancy new haircut." (it's really pretty!!)
- David says, "I enjoyed gymnastics and getting a new rip in my hand that bled.' (BOYS, bleck!)
- Pat says, "I got to spend the night with James." (err, Pat is grounded right now and couldn't think of anything nice to say, so I reminded of the fun he had at James' house...LOL! Writer's prerogative, right??)
- Derek says, "I stayed up late on game night" At least, that's what I think he said...LOL!
Saturday, February 13, 2010
- Dan is still working...we are so grateful. When he got assigned this job in Tularosa, he said he would be surprised if it lasted until the new year. Here it is the middle of February, and God is still providing him with work....AMEN!
- David is doing so well in gymnastics that the coach is starting to pressure him to compete. While this annoys me since we have made it perfectly clear that he does NOT want to compete, this gives D a chance to learn to say no and mean it...a valuable life lesson : )
- Pat is working very hard on his self control and starting to want 'privileges' enough to want to take on 'responsibilities' so that he can have them...and that's HUGE for him! (We are also cutting HFCS and Red Dye #40 completely out of his diet and are seeing some of the benefits of that for him...and he's finally old enough to understand why we are doing it, and not be too annoyed by it, YEAH!!)
- Derek has started recognizing letters well enough that he is starting to ask what things spell, and can consistently spell his name with his refrigerator letters. His coloring is improving by leaps and bounds and I know that soon he will be writing letters on his own...WOW!
- 'Shua and Lauren made it safely to IL and back to have a nice visit with friends and family. Call us all selfish, but we sure are glad to have them back : ) We had an adventure both dropping them off at the airport and on the way to pick them up. I won't bore you with retelling the story but if you want to read about it, it's here. As for on the way to pick them up, ironically it was raining again and I asked Dan to go with us since I didn't want to get stranded on the way to pick them up. He graciously agreed even though he really needed to be in bed and away we went. Along the way, we saw several cars in ditches, since no one knows how to drive in poor weather down here. Before long, the car in front of us started driving erratically and within 5 minutes had managed to do 3 spins crossing all lanes of traffic and smash into the median right in front of us. Surely the Lord protected us form being any closer to him or we would have been hit as well. Then just about the time our adrenaline wore off, we hit a puddle and the serpentine belt came off...AGAIN! Let me repeat, I AM SO GLAD Dan was with us. He pulled off the highway, put it back on and off we went, but there was no entrance ramp back to the highway....grr! So we drove in circles, got lost and then had to backtrack once we stopped for directions. We managed to pull up to the airport exactly at the time they landed which was odd since they were due to land some 40 minutes before then. Thankfully the ride home was uneventful as we listened to them tell us about their adventures from IL. Oh my...what a wild ride! The boys are still talking about it : )
- Me? I got my long awaited kitchen aid mixer this week. Thank you Tax Refund! I am also going to order the grain mill attachment so that I can grind my own flours...I am such a dork, but I'm so excited I feel like clapping and jumping up and down every time I think of it!
- Speaking of the tax refund...we have really enjoyed it this year. All the boys have new games or systems. David bought a PSP and can play games with Dan now, Pat got new headphones and several new gadgets or gizmos for his birthday DSi including a carrying case, an external flash kit and a zoom lens. Derek got a new DSi and a game. The family got a PS3 and several new controllers....so I think we bought all our technology for the year...LOL! Credit cards got paid down or off, everyone got new shoes or clothes...some got both and we filled our nearly empty cupboards to overflowing again! I got 2 new cartridges for my cricut machine, plus several other scrapbooking items, Dan got his long awaited electric razor and I bought several months worth of inks and photo papers for the computer printer. Dan's motorcycle is in the shop for a tune up and we will still have enough money to order next year's curriculum. Is God good to us or what? Not that God isn't good to us when we don't have much money, but I want to give extra praise where it is due. The Lord provides for our needs...and our wants. We even have some money set aside for taking care of others...now THAT feels good!
- Speaking of caring for others, I just want to give a little shout out to my Sister-Girl Karen. Last night she ordered pizza for the WHOLE game night crowd which includes....Karen and Tyler, Charlie and Devin, Kelly and Jared, Robert, Tracy and Little Izzi, 'Shua and Lauren, Jodi, Aaron, James and Titus, plus us 5 MeYeR's....just so I could have a break from kitchen duty. Is she great or what?? Not that she doesn't do wonderful things for me all the time, but this was huge...and so sweet. Sister-Girl, thanks!!
- In that same vein, Tracy has been super about taking the boys a few days here and there so I can get things done, work on Saturday morning, or so I can have a few hours with Dan and that's a wonderful gift to any mother, right?? : ) AND she's the wonderful teacher of the *all new* craft class on Friday mornings.
- The new job at the gym is going really well, as of next week, I am on my own to run the concession stand on Saturday mornings...I'm pretty excited!
- Kohls continues to be a good job and even though I'm pretty tired some days, it's a job that allows us to continue to enjoy our homeschooling lifestyle and I can still bring in some money. I call that, a God thing.
I think that's enough news for one post, don't you?? Oh, one more thing...Alec is coming to visit us next week, and I'm really excited about seeing him again. We didn't have much chance to visit when I was there in Sept, so it's really catch up time!! Spinal Tap, anyone??
Have a great week and thanks for being interested in our lives!
Monday, February 8, 2010
- It's so great to have Dan home in the evenings these days. While I got 'used' to him being gone in the evening, it's so much better to have him home.
- Dan stayed home from work today so he could catch up on some sleep and so we could spend some time together...all together, Awwwww!
- Our tax refund has helped us to get a few things that we have been putting off for a while. So thank you tax refund for the kitchen aid stand mixer that is on it's way to my house right now...hurray for easier bread and pizza making!
- The boys are really enjoyed the time they got to spend with Dan over the weekend while I was working...hurray for father and son time : )
I like the idea of this kind of post. If you do too, then post YOUR little things. I'm making it a goal to be more positive this year...join me!
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
If you enjoy the simple things in life and would like to take a peek into other ladies daybooks, visit Miss Peggy's site at www.thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com See you there!
I've discovered as I make this journey through life that it's not the huge things that make or break your day, your week, your month or LIFE. It's the little things. So in honor of those little things, list a few things with me that made your day, week, month or life a bit sweeter or brighter.
- A son that thinks my 'green goo' can heal everything....he's right, of course, but by the time most kids are 12, they are 'over' being amazed by mama's bag of tricks...ha ha!
- A hubby that aims to please by going to the grocery store with 3 boys in tow when he would rather watch a movie and put his feet up on a Sunday afternoon.
- Praise music that reminds up to look UP whenever we are down : )
- A washer and dryer that labors day in and day out on our behalf
- Family and friends that know exactly when to send an encouraging note.
- A new pen pal to get to swap letters and thoughts with, hurray!
I like the idea of this kind of post. If you do too, add YOUR little things. I'm making it a goal to be more positive this year...join me!