Featured Post

The Best Thing I've Heard All Week

     A brilliant friend of mine called her new boyfriend a 'gentleman savage' on Facebook this week, and it struck a chord in me. It...

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Joy-FULL February 2011 ~Day 14


I {heart} homeschooling! I do, it's great! I get to spend time with my boys, who will be grown and gone before I know it, I can teach from a Biblical perspective and I can decide how and what they learn. There's so much more to it, but those are the overriding principles of it. Teaching a child to read, do his letters correctly and finally "GET" math, that brings me great JOY. I've learned so much from teaching and learning alongside of the boys. All my boys know how to bake, care for babies, clean the house and how to have friends that aren't in their exact age bracket. I also give 'how to be a good hubby' lessons, LOL! They are curious, and we can chase down those curiosities. Just yesterday we discussed Siamese/conjoined twins (what they are, how they form and how cooperative they must be for each other) texting and cell phone usage etiquette, and the history of Valentine's Day. And that was all before lunch. : ) Other times, we watch animal videos, How It's Made video clips, do crafts, go to the farmer's market, or read a 'classic' and then watch the movie to see if they followed the storyline. If there's an 'old' version and a 'new' version of the movie, even better. One we really enjoyed last year was "Around the World in 80 Days' which David and Patrick managed to read in just 2.5 days. I could go on for days about how much JOY homeschooling brings me, but I'll hush.


I will add this disclaimer...

I don't think homeschooling is the best choice for everyone. I don't think that sending your child to public or private school is anyone else's decision but yours. I'm not a public school basher, or a private school hater. We just do what works for us, as should you. Please don't anyone think that I'm judging you if you don't homeschool.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

YEAH for homeschooling!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...