Featured Post

The Best Thing I've Heard All Week

     A brilliant friend of mine called her new boyfriend a 'gentleman savage' on Facebook this week, and it struck a chord in me. It...

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

2018 Word and Goals for the Year


  I know I'm a bit late to the party, as it's well into January already, but I wanted to share my word/motto for the year and some goals I will be working throughout the year. But first, a quick recap of 2017 goals/word.

  It took me a while to determine whether I was done using the word ENOUGH, as it's been my word for a few years now. I finally decided that with 2017 fully in the rear view mirror, I was ready for a new word and new goals. I retired my #PlateSpinner hashtag in June of 2017 by retiring from the B-Bunch House after 5 years and starting a new job at LFAL. I fully embraced my new hashtag of #NoLongerAPlateSpinner just a few weeks ago by bidding my snack bar lady work trade job at Gym Magic a fond farewell and reclaiming my Saturday mornings after 8 fun-filled years. So, I'm calling 2017 a win on goals, since my only true goal of last year was to retire the plate spinner tag.


     Moving on! Hello and welcome 2018. The word I've chosen for this year is "Progress". My motto is more of the same by choosing "Progress, not Perfection" to print in my planner and on my heart all year long. I've spent too many years either in one camp or the other...exacting perfection (or beating myself up for lack thereof) or a lackadaisical Meh, close-enough-is-good-enough attitude. Neither actually work for me, or lead to a healthy balance in my life, so I think Progress is a better fit. I can give myself grace on the days where it all goes to the dogs, and encourage myself to do better when I'm not giving things enough effort to make it come together.
     As for my specific goals, I've tried to just be reasonable with myself this year. We are in a season of change. Dan is currently unemployed. I don't make enough to support us. That is stressful and requires a good portion of our attention until that resolves one way or another. PattyCakes just turned 19 and will probably move out within this year, leaving us with just one child left at home, a situation we've NEVER encountered before as even when we were young parents with only one actual child, I was nannying for 2 littles and caring for my young nephew many MANY hours a week. I've never parented ONE child before, let alone a child who has FULLY embraced his 12 and a half-ness like this one does. It's not going to a dull or boring year, that's for sure. And that's ok, I just need remember that as I attempt to be real about how many/how specific of goals I can work on while I live this life I love so much.

     So, for the nitty gritty:

Spiritual:
  • Make a new habit of praying WITH Dan as often as he is willing. 
  • Read the Bible every day.
  • Make a prayer list and pray more often and more specifically.
 Health:
  • Instead of specific numbers/servings/grams, etc. I am adopting a eat-to-live attitude instead of my usual live-to-eat policy. I'm trying to pack simple healthy lunches each day, get more veggies in than in the past, and make sure I get my water every day. By end of year, I want to be able to hike Dripping Springs, A Mountain and Aguirre Springs. That's it.
Books: 
  • Read 52 books (or approximately one per week) hopefully along these lines
    • 6 marriage 
    • 2 financial
    • 10 novels
    • 1 magazine subscription
    • 2 gov't
    • 3 history
    • 10 read-alouds with DT
    • 2 book club choices
    • 1 spanish
    • 10 Christian Living
    • 10 books that I had on my list from last year
Family:
  • Start eating together at the table at least twice a week
  • Get away together for at least one long weekend and 4-one day trips
  • DE-CLUTTER the whole house. I mean it. For reals.
Cultural/Social:
  • Attend one cultural/social activity per month that's inexpensive or free~ Game Night does not count, no matter how much we love it
  • Attend 1-2 BIG events this year (Newsies, Lion King, TobyMac, etc)
  • Participate in #NoPantsApril2018 and #100HappyDays 
Personal: 
  • Wear Make Up 1-2 times per week
  • Slowly upgrade my wardrobe with an emphasis on high quality classics with a few trendy pieces thrown in for fun (Limit t-shirts with writing on them)
  • Plan meals and cook 4 times per week, plus pack healthy lunches for DT and I at work
Financial:
  • Get back on track once Dan gets a new job and stay current on the bills
  • Save 50% of my monthly earnings to start and grow our emergency savings
  • Tithe more generously (not just to the church, but to our community)
  • Pay off Dan's Honda
  • Put up a clothesline, repair the breakfast nook roof/ceiling, install raised garden beds in the back yard, get a coop and 4-6 chickens, and plant dwarf fruit trees along the rear fence line. (probably only 1-2 two of these will happen this year and that's OK) 
I know that despite my trying to be "reasonable" with my goal setting, I've set some pretty challenging goals. And that's not a bad thing. I will try to update once a month to see how I'm progressing.
Feel free to share your goals so I can cheer you on this year as well! ~K~

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...